Fiery Baja Fish Tacos w/ Chipotle Crema & lime slaw
I woke up craving fish tacos. One of those, mouth watering tacos that can bring me back to the beach and mindlessness. The refreshing lime offsetting the crema and the crunch from the cabbage is exactly what made my dream come true. So after trying to get my baby sister up for hours she finally got up at 1:00PM and went with me to the store to pick up some ingredients. I started the prep by cutting the red and green cabbage into thin strips. Juiced 2 limes & chopped the cilantro stems.
Then added sour cream (I would exchange this with greek yogurt next time),chipotle in adobo, habanero in food processor for my chipotle crema.
Next make your salsa! Tomatoes, cilantro, lime, Serrano peppers....I went spicy this time with two full peppers sliced. You can adjust according to your preference
Heat up your corn tortillas on a cast iron with a little oil. Flipping to get both sides. assemble with layer of crema, fish, slaw and salsa.
3 pounds of cod filets
1/2 head red cabbage, shredded or chopped thinly
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded or chopped thinly
1 cup cilantro stems chopped
juice of 2 limes
2 cups sour cream or greek yogurt
4 tablespoon chipotle in adobo
1 fresh habanero
4 tomatoes, cored and chopped
1 serrano sliced
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
juice of two limes
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon old bay seasoning
1. Assemble slaw: thinly slice both cabbages, chop cilantro stems, add 2 limes juiced and S/P add to medium size bowl. set aside
2. Assemble Chipotle crema: Using a food processor add sour cream, habanero and chipotle in adobo. Pulse until no chunks and thoroughly incorporated. Place in refrigerator until ready to use
3. Assemble salsa: Chopped tomatoes, sliced serranos, 2 limes juiced, and cilantro into medium sized bowl. set aside
4. Bake fish: prepare fish by drying it with paper towels and letting sit to room temp (20-30 minutes), add salt and pepper. Turn oven on 350, place bread crumbs on cooking sheet and place in oven for 3-4 minutes to toast the crumbs. In small bowl whisk egg and place egg on plate. Place toasted bread crumbs on second plate. Foil cooking sheet and place closest to bread crumbs. Start by placing fish in egg, coating throughly then roll in bread crumbs and place on foil. Do this for rest of fish and place in preheated oven for 10 minutes
5. Assemble taco: Place warmed tortilla down and add crema as a base for the fish. Next is the baked fish, then slaw and salsa. You can add more crema, or avocado, radish or other fixings. ENJOY